Considering the last thing that I animated for a project in Maya was a blob using blend shapes, I am quite pleased with how my final animation turned out. Once I got my head around all the controls, sorting rig/model issues and after a bit of practice, I found Mery quite easy to use (but still provided a challenge)
There were some parts that I had to cut out due to the deadline- I would have liked to make Mery pick up the carrot and look at it in defeat (to give a better sense of the disappointment of getting a small carrot after all that effort!) so I may revisit her in the future to experiment with some different movements.
I also would have liked to has spent more time in post production as I feel it was a little rushed as I spent the first week of this project practicing using Mery, but it all worked out in the end.
This project was the first time that I planned out my animation using key poses and then blocking (previously I just animated as I went along) and I found this so much easier! Also putting animation on “stepped” was helpful so it only showed the keyed poses and then allowed my to worry about tidying up the messy animation later.
I found that I really enjoyed doing the facial animations for Mery as it brought so much more life to the piece and I feel like I might want to delve into that further in future projects.
Overall I am proud of this animation as it shows how I’ve improved over my first year of studying animation at university. From making a ball bounce to creating an animation with a character who has facial controls and everything! I honestly had some doubts at the beginning but I stuck around and you’re not getting rid of me 😀
(I need to figure out this disgusting gif quality issue)
So- here is the inbetweened animation (some other touch-ups may occur depending on time). I would have had a better lit version but as Maya likes to crash that hasn’t happened yet, so I’m now off to sort that out
Seeing as I switched ideas many times in the concept process I am quite pleased with the overall outcome of my “Springwatch” ident. I had to re-evaluate my ideas to fit it as close to the 10 second time frame as possible. This was my final story board-
I had to learn a lot in Adobe After Effects and Premier to get the desired look for my animation. The background and foregrounds were drawn first and put together in After Effects with the “winter to spring” transition. The animals were animated in TVPaint and then blue screened in Premier to then compose the running sequence in After Effects (probably could have been done in a much quicker way but I’m new to this)
I enjoyed learning how to use new software although it could be slightly confusing at times and I would like to come back to use these programs as they make creating looping run cycles extremely easy.
Overall I am pleased with the aesthetic of this piece as I have never animated in a line less style before and I think it managed to make this animation look quite different to my previous work.
After not being able to decide on what aesthetic approach to take, I decided to combine both my ideas after a little vision popped into my head of a plant growing with patterns and animals exploding from it as it grows.
I think I just need warmer weather.
Trying to gather some ideas for the next assignment- we have to design roughly a 10 second animation that would be shown between programmes on a channel to keep people interested.
As this project focuses a lot on a e s t h e c i c s, I want to do either a music channel with a trippy, psychedelic vibe or a natural, pastel aesthetic for a nature channel- two very different looks to choose from
Wooooo new project! Life finally feels like it has purpose again after the Christmas break.
For this project we have to create a roughly one minute long short film aimed at children aged 6 to 8, emphasizing on the importance of staying still during medical examinations.
I had done some research about how animation can be used to educate and instruct children, as long as the piece is interesting and appealing.
I recalled some shows that I used to watch as a child like “Mio Mao” and “Pocoyo” that featured simple characters in a white, void-like environment and thought that would be a good aesthetic to use for my piece, as the message behind the animation is important.
I want to keep my character design for this quite simple and appealing to the target age group, as although it is a close age range, children aged 6 can be more childlike than 8/9 year olds who may not view themselves as a “young child”.
Today we were given the brief of “Objects and Obstacles” and were tasked with creating creating 2 10 second animations, preferably one in 2D and one in 3D.
For my 2D animation I plan to create a little story about a chubby cat trying to reach some food on a table. I plan to keep the style rather simple to keep the character design consistent, as it will have to be redrawn many times in TVPaint.
I have yet to decide on my 3D idea but I may decide to bring my little chubby cat character into my 3D animation to continue his adventures
Just a little idea for the style I want to go for with the cat character (he needs more booty though!!)